In 1956, because Quaker Memorial Presbyterian Church was bursting at its seams, Pastor James Thompson called for volunteers to help organize a new Presbyterian church on Timberlake Road. As a result, a small group of people gathered in the home of Morris & Ruby Thompson to form Saint Andrew Presbyterian Church. Pastor Thompson and the Reverend Bernard Bain helped the church greatly in its earliest stages.
The Reverend Robert H. Ramey, Jr. was called as the church’s first pastor and preached his first service on January 27, 1957 at the old Brookville School (now demolished). The church later moved to Brookville Elementary School (now Heritage Elementary) before moving into its own building in October of 1959.
Bob Ramey served the church from 1957 until 1963. In 1964 W. Newton Todd was called to serve the church, and stayed for five years. J. Kenneth Rogers accepted the call to Saint Andrew in 1970 and served faithfully for 34 years. With Ken Rogers were Cheryl Duke (Associate Pastor, 1988-89), Stewart Smith (Seminary Intern, 1992-93), and Lee Hinson-Hasty (Associate Pastor, 1995-2001).
Charles B. “Chuck” Willoughby was called as Co-Pastor in 2002 to work with Ken Rogers until his retirement in 2003, and in 2004 David Etheridge was called as Co-Pastor. Pastor Willoughby retired on August 7, 2014. Dave Roberts was called in 2016 as Associate Pastor.
In 2007 the church celebrated its 50th Anniversary with the theme, “Planted by God’s Grace, and Still Growing.” Former pastors Ken Rogers and Cheryl Duke participated in the service of worship, and Bob Ramey preached a wonderful sermon based upon 1 Corinthians 3:1-15.
Through the years the original building has been added on to four times, for a children’s wing, fellowship hall, a “Commons Area,” and, most recently, a new fellowship hall and youth area. The current building project underway is finishing children's classrooms. The final phase of this project calls for renovating the current education wing for adult classrooms, dedicated choir space, and a dedicated community meeting room.
In 1957, the wise organizers of this church named the congregation after Andrew, the disciple who brought others to meet Jesus, with the vision that the members of this church would lead others to Jesus Christ. It remains our vision to this day.